While we have a wide variety of default reports already set up within the "Reports" tab, we also have a custom report feature you can use to make your own report. You may find it tricky to build a custom report without any prior knowledge, which is we've created a step-by-step tutorial to show you exactly how to do so:
- Go to the "Reports" tab, and click on "Payroll."
- Next, click "Custom Report"
- Then, choose the category of custom report you want to make. In this example, we are going to use "Time Card." You will be given a choice of specific type of report. We are going to choose "EARequests."
- Next, create a "Code" and "Description" for your report. Where it says "Data Source," look through the drop down menu and select the type of report you'd like to make. Then for "Category," select the tab you'd like to see the report in. Choose your preferred "Export Type" (the most universal ones are Excel and CSV), and finish by selecting your "Default Date Range."
- Click on the "Report Fields" tab. As you can see, there is no data to display. However, on the right you'll see there are data columns you can expand. Double-click on the data fields you need. For "Employee Absence Requests" there are two types of data that will populate - "Employee" and "Absence Requests."
Once you've done that, there a number of ways you can customize the report fields by adjusting the Field Name, Caption, Width, Header, Total, Hidden, and Color. Here is a breakdown of the information you need to know about each column:
Field Name: The field name represents the information that will show up in that field. You can rename the field name by right clicking on the field to write your own custom code to customize the information that shows up in the report for that field.
Caption: You can rename the caption, which is the column header, if you wish.
Width: How wide the cell should be.
Header: To keep headers in your report, check the box. If you'd prefer not to have headers in your report for whatever reason, uncheck the boxes. If you're making a report to integrate with a different software you might want to leave out the header.
Total: Total on this field.
Hidden: Check hidden if there is a field you want included in the report that you don't want to see unless you need it. For instance, if you wanted to make a filter to only show you employees that are active, you wouldn't be able to filter those employees unless you include that field on your report. So sometimes you might want to add it, just to have the option to put a filter on it.
Color: You can change the color of the cell to white, black, yellow, green, or blue.
Arrows: You can rearrange the fields if you'd like to move up or down a field.
- Moving on, if you'd like to sort your report in a certain way you can do so by clicking on "Sorts" and double clicking your desired report field. For instance, to sort a report by last name, double click "LastFirst" to populate the report with this field and then choose ascending or descending.
- Now, if you'd like you can also filter your report to only show certain data. For instance, if you want to run a report for only one department or specific set of employees, you can do that. Start by going to the "Filters" tab and clicking on the "Add Filter" button.
- Select the filter field you wish - we are selecting "Department."
- You will be returned to the Filters window where you can customize the filter you apply to the data field you've selected. "Filter On" displays the filter, "Operator" allows you to choose the conditions for your data, such as "Containing," "Not Containing," etc., the "Value" lets you choose the specific data you want, and "AndOR" allows you to select "and" or "or."
- If you'd like to group specific report fields, you can automatically sort them in the "Groups" tab. For instance, the report we are making is a custom Employee Absence Requests report. If we wanted to group hours by department, we would select "Group By - Department" and for "Group Header Label" and "Group Footer Label" we would select "Hours." You can also suppress the header, footer, and total if you'd like.
Once you're done with that, you can click "Run."
To learn more about our cost effective and user-friendly cloud-based time and attendance software, check out our website at Fingercheck.com. Interested in our services? Sign up for a 30-day free trial and get started with Fingercheck today.