What is Employee Biometric Consent?
Employee Biometric Consent is an option that can be enabled in Fingercheck that offers employees a sign-able digital consent form explaining how Fingercheck clocks collect their biometric data for timekeeping purposes.
This is useful as certain states across the US are beginning to sign into law new legislation on the collection of biometric data, such as fingerprints or facial information, before it can be used.
If you are a user of biometric clocks within a state that is considering implementing biometric consent laws, we have a form which employees can sign when they log in to their Self Service accounts. Here's how to get it going on your company!
Enabling Employee Biometric Consent
To turn on the Employee Biometric Consent feature, follow these quick and easy steps.
- Log in to your Fingercheck account. From your Fingercheck Dashboard, look to the menu on the left side of the screen, and click Setup.
- On the Setup screen, follow the navigation over to Company > Clock Management.
- If you have a biometric clock, you'll see a line for it on this screen. Click on its Code or Description, or the corresponding pencil icon on the right-hand side of the screen to edit it.
- On the page that follows, look for the checkbox that says "Show Employee Biometric Consent", pictured below.
- Make sure to click the green Save button at the bottom-right of the page to save your changes.
With this enabled, the next time your employees log in using their Fingercheck Self Service accounts, they'll be shown a consent form, which they can either sign or dismiss.
Note that there are some states which may even require consent before using biometric data. If you're in one of those states, Fingercheck will have you covered there too, by requiring that the employee sign the agreement form.
What if I have an employee who doesn't want to consent and I'm in a state that requires it?
If an employee does not consent to biometric data storage, what happens is any punches for that employee will be rejected by the server, meaning that their punch data won't be received, which obviously poses a problem. How do I allow this employee to punch in and out?
Not to worry, because Fingercheck offers a number of other methods of clocking in for the day that don't involve a biometric scanner!
Below are some alternative methods in which an employee can punch in and out using Fingercheck.
- If the Employee has a smartphone, they can log in using our Fingercheck Mobile App, and punch there. For more information on that, click here.
- If the employee does not have a smartphone, they can still clock in by logging in to the website, or via SMS Text. For more information on that, click here and here.
If you have any other questions about how to set up Employee Biometric Consent, feel free to reach out to our team at 1-800-610-9501, or, use our in-app messaging feature, located at the bottom-right of the screen, while you're logged in to Fingercheck.
To learn more about our cost-effective and user-friendly cloud-based time and attendance software, check out our website at Fingercheck.com. Interested in our services? Sign up for a 30-day free trial and get started with Fingercheck today.